Thursday, December 24, 2015

Humble Suggestion for Canonical

I'm not a technologist, really, and I'm not a programmer. But I have noticed since I use Ubuntu that there's a little disharmony among the community. The thing I like about Linux is the general community atmosphere. I fail to understand why there are battles between Unity and Gnome and KDE, Debian distributions and RPM, even Vi and Emacs. We have our preferences, sure, but lets all get along, yah?

It seems from my vantage point that Ubuntu has been having difficulty playing along with others. I think there's a certain arrogance by being the more widely-used distribution, which will probably be leading to a drop in usage... I see that Canonical wants their own display stack, but as a technologist, I don't understand why Wayland can't work for their purposes. It is more community supported, so my tendency is to believe there is a good reason.

To be fair, our market-worshipers should enjoy linux and this competition. Linux is a healthy and varied ecosystem of choices and options. There is more market among this tiny sliver of the computer users. Perhaps we'll see down the road that there was a good reason for this fight...

But I think cooperation is the more effective part of any ecosystem.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Good Chapters: