Sunday, October 14, 2012

Design and Function

I like design. And systems. Creating controlling systems. When I was younger, I imagined video-game controllers because that is what I did. I still think of them sometimes... And I still think I've got a good one in my head. But I have to admit, I didn't have the creativity to make the leap the Wii controller was.

But I did improve on it.

....in my head....

So it has been with some interest that I have been watching the evolution of Google's organizational system. They have built themselves into a quandary  They have so many varied systems, being used in such a variety of ways, that it is difficult to make a streamlined thing that would work for everyone. Some people (fewer and fewer by the day, I think), like Google Reader. Others just use their classic search. Many use their email or docs ("Drive", whatever - at least the old url still works: docs.google). What should go first? Where should they go?

I offer some pro-bono advice. Though if they like it, they should hire me for part of their design staff. I've got more of them.

Nesting. Basically, a lot of my idea comes down to nesting. And integrating their header system with Chrome. Redundancy is also a good policy: a few different straight-forward ways to get to the same place. But also the ability to speedily chose what one wants in all of those directions. The options on the top? Combine images, news, whatnot into one "search" heading. Have a simple "search" button, and on the side the "list" button to see the other options. And I think it'd be pretty cool if I was signed into Google on someone else's computer running ol' and shitty Explorer if I could still see my bookmarks... What an interesting system that would be. (Of course, that should only be an option for those with computers that could handle such a system.) The main thing in their toolbar should remain the search bar. Acting like the omni-box of Chrome. If you type in: alligatormagazine.com - it just goes there. If you type in imdb.com *tab* then you are set to search imdb.... or at least let that work for Google's own services (image *tab* and you will search images; plus *tab* and you search plus; maps *tab* and you are searching maps)


Whew. That's just a dump of crapp information. Let's break it down a bit. Here's my basic idea:

Google's homepage could look pretty much like Chrome. I like Chrome's set-up. It is clean as Mac, really, and more customizable, and easy to use even for those who don't tinker with their computers endlessly. Replace the navigation tools (back/forward/reload/etc) on the left side of the "OmniBox!" with their logo; replace the tabs on the top with their services, similar to what they have now: +you, search, images, etc.... Under the search, are your own bookmarks (provided you are logged in and want them, on the right are the google sharing tools and options/settings menu. It is ever so slightly annoying to me that my name is in one place, separated by "share", and then some little logo that is supposed to represent me. If I click on my name, it is the same as clicking on the symbol, yet they are far apart... Instead, where +you is, there could be your logo. And that dialog when you click on it. Combine the dialog of Chrome and that of general Google. Next to it, is your name, and that would take you straight to Google Plus.

Within the search box there could be a little box telling you what you are searching. Google? Images? Plus? Contacts? Mail? Drive? Docs? Calendar? All of that. If you click on it, then you get a drop down menu of options. What search engine do you wish to use? It should always be there, to tell the user what is being used currently. If they type a new engine and press tab (ala Chrome), then it will change. But they could use their mouse as well. This would remove the need to have a bar on the left full of the search type options. That screen space could be used for something else. Yay, small screen computing. The search engine that would be used would be where you are. And they could be ordered with what that user uses most.

I notice that the search bar is gone here on Blogger. That breaks the consistency.

There are two versions of Google Contacts - one in mail, and one independent. Why?

Calendar could be integrated with Plus and events, but have those two ways of looking at them.

Elegance is important. So it would take a little fine-tuning. But if it is integrating and unifying, the effort would be well worth it.

Anyway, hope you're listenin', Google.

I wanted to draw a picture, but, well, I'm running out of time. It's pretty clear in my head, but my description is pretty rambly. If there is anyone out there who would like clarification or to discuss it.... well, like I said, I just kind of think of control systems.

I've got one for Apple too, and their calendaring and reminding system if they want to give me an offer!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Good Chapters: