Friday, January 4, 2013

Writing too often about computers and technology

I find it almost hard to believe that people are surprised Windows 8 has a small market share.

How old is Windows 7?

I find that in most things, people get loyalty. There are Windows-heads, Mac-heads, Democrats and Republicans, and those in between. Those who like Windows will continue to use windows and malign those who like Mac; and vice versa. Those who like Democrats will also malign Republicans who will sling the mud right back.

But image if there were several versions of Democrat OS and Republican OS. And they came out every few year to compete against themselves. The computers that shipped with Windows 7 are still young and viable. And, unlike the superphone market, I don't know anyone who replaces their computer every year or two. Not even my computer-geek friends, who may want to, do that... primarily for a lack of funds. (I don't know how or why the superphone got to be replaceable every goddamn year whether it was still working or not.)

So Windows 8 is competing against the still-young Windows 7. My girlfriend is still using Vista. My college switched to 7 about 6 months ago. They will not be switching again for a few years, I wouldn't think.

Businesses take a long time to get things done, sometimes. For good and poor reasons. Switching over your computers is expensive and time-consuming and requires that all of your employees learn something new that isn't directly affecting your business at the moment.

Why switch?

In comparison, I don't compare the version of Ubuntu I'm using; and people don't compete to have the latest Mac. The releases are not as big of a deal. They happen more regularly and are just part of a series. Not benchmarks.

Windows is still the most popular PC OS and probably always will be.

It's the next generation they've really got to worry about.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Good Chapters: