Saturday, January 5, 2013

Your Birthright!

The Economist released an article about the Best Places to be Born. Unsurprisingly, the US (arrogant as we are) were not on the top of the list. It was an interesting little piece, entertaining. Besides the wealth of idiotic comments the article generated in about 4 minutes, I take umbridge with one thing they said:

"Being rich helps more than anything else"

Bullshit.

You're just The Economist. That's what you would believe. In these rankings, there is a bit of a correlation: richer countries being higher ranked than poorer countries. Yet I wonder if that was pre-determined by the factors used for the analysis. Remember when you read something like this that it has a bias. Even though there are numbers, those numbers came from an equation built by a person who favored some type of information and ignored other information. So is the reason richness matters because it was a factor in the equation?

In my limited experience, the correlation is almost the opposite. The poor I know seem quite a bit happier than the rich I know. And, according to documentaries such as Happy, that is not all that uncommon on a global scale.

Money doesn't really matter. It only matters in how it can affect the things that matter.

1 comment:

  1. I remember being significantly happier when I didn't own a cellphone.

    ReplyDelete

Good Chapters: