Friday, January 4, 2013

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (2012)

Have to admit: I enjoyed The Hobbit. Much (much, much) more than I expected I would. Though I began expecting I would.

I went into it knowing a lot of what to expect. I was told Pete Jackson was "indulging himself", and I knew what he likes. Pete's an 'Epic Guy'. He likes big world-saving, end of the line, larger-than-life, fate in the balance, overblown stuff. And this all features heavily in The Hobbit. It is not quite so heavy as in The Lord of the Rings. In its stead is a little more humor, which fits this story aptly.

And probably a good portion of the reason I still like The Hobbit more than The Lord of the Rings. I like humor. Even if it made the overall feeling of the movie a little... Strange. Made the battle scenes a little awkward. Even if the movie had this strange deja-vuie feel to it. Augmented by cameo appearance scenes put in just for the sake of having cameo appearance scenes put in and by re-hashed scenes so similar to their parent, they really didn't have to re-shoot them. Even if some details like hobbit feet weren't done quite so well. Even if Bilbo mentioned his plumbing... And the elves had electricity... I still liked it.

A lot of that has to do with Howard Shore's work. I loved the Dwarve's song in Bilbo's home and I am not alone. It did very well. It could be a theme on the same song from the ol' Hobbit movie, which creates a nice little link. But it is better. Beyond that, it is just the right style to match the point and power the song is supposed to have. My greatest disappointment with the movie is just that they didn't sing the whole thing and finish the song during the movie. (I also would have liked more of Tolkien's poems made into as good of  songs, like Fifteen Birds.)

It was a good story. I liked the dwarves, and how the movie was able to make them feel. It was a little undermined by Thorin's age (he should have been older, I think) and human look, but these are small detail. The adventure was captured well. The artists who worked on all of these middle earth movies are very good. I suspect that many of them have been inspired by Middle earth for a long time. I think the weakest link, was probably Pete Jackson himself.

But that's just a supposition.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Good Chapters: