Monday, July 16, 2012

Internet Service

This is directed primarily at my Alma Matter, Western State College (now Western State Colorado University; that's right, without any punctuation.)

Enabling people to do things online should not be a complete substitute for customer service. When someone takes the time to journey into an office to ask somethings such as, "hey, I'm looking to get an Official Transcript, because I need one for my job." they should not be told: "Go online, go away."

Because they are not online; they are in her office.

Perhaps, instead, she can tell them, "you can do all this online, you know. You don't have to traipse all the way up here!"

"Uh...." he'll say, sheepishly, "Right. Shoulda known that. Of course. Internet. Forgot about that."

"But, since you're already here, I can put that order in for you. Where would you like it sent? Or would you just like to pick them up here in a week or two?" or whatever it takes to get an Official Stamped Sealed Notarized Cauterized Ledgerized Legalized Transcript.

Why can she only take orders from a computer? What ever happened to human interaction? Why do I sound like a 60 year old complaining about all this new-fanged technology even though I'm in my 2nd decade?

I kinda hope that my school collapses, as I predict it will. But I'm afraid that everyone is doing this. I know you can't apply for a soul-sucking dead-end job at a box store with an application and resume anymore. Because.. i've tried... No, the only way it is possible to apply is by submitting a Standardized Test Style Application online. Then, you're placed in a virtual pile of 10K other applications which will never be read.

But The Trick to getting out of that virtual pile is still to go in person to the store, find the managers, shake their hands, make them laugh, and get them to remember your name. Then, they'll look (or search) for your application and hire you.


Especially if you make them laugh. In a good natured and clean sort of way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Good Chapters: