Sunday, May 25, 2014

The Best of Modern Computer Syncing

Syncing had a dubious start in my circle of friends. We were all worried about our stuff being stuck somewhere in some "cloud". Security and all that. But I experimented and came to rely on it. Now, I use two different computers at different times depending on what I need to do: the desktop is mostly for getting things done; it has my partners art on it and the power to do drawing as she works on being a professional artist and illustrator (doodlepad.com). The laptop is old and shitty and is used when I don't wanna sit at a desk. It can type, and get the Internet (barely), and that's all it needs to do. But it is nice to be able to have whatever I'm working on accessible on whichever computer I happen to be using.

Then UbuntuOne notified that it was closing down. No longer would I be able to use their service.

At the time, I thought, "bummer. But, I guess I'll be able to find something else if they 'aren't able to compete'".

Then I started searching. And discovered that that wasn't the case. SpiderOak is somewhat useful, and basically fills the gap left in the loss of UbuntuOne, but it doesn't sync as quickly. I have a work on my desktop and every time I work on a different computer, my last changes haven't come over. And besides that, it is more time to set up, and doesn't offer as much space.

I am wondering how UbuntuOne wasn't able to compete. I can't find anything even half as good. I will miss it. Ah, me.

Oh well. It's just computers and their drain on my life anyway. Onward and Upward! Who wants to go hiking?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Good Chapters: