Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Concern? Or Compassion.

A lot of people like me are labeled "Concerned" because we are, I guess, concerned about atrocity and genocide and awfulness; or maybe just a lack of goodness that we see around us.

But it isn't really concern for me. I care more about the Amazon, thousands of miles away, then I care about my self, really. But I'm not "concerned". I am concerned about my inability to feed myself, pay rent and debt off, and all that annoying jazz.

Why do I care about polar bears, the insects in Ecuador, trees and shrimp? Because I care. Because I think of myself as compassionate. When I hear that you are being slowly lacerated, I feel bad about it and I don't want to kill anyone.

It is my compassion that makes me sad that I seem to be in the minority.

1 comment:

Good Chapters: