Wednesday, February 22, 2012

A True Conservative Irony

People are, generally, pretty schizophrenic. I think it has something to do with those "labels" I mentioned earlier. People get stuck on the word and think that it is important. When really, it is just a label. One person will say, "I'm a Democrat" and get so focused on that idea that they will align themselves with anything the democrats say. I came across some research once about that. I cannot find it anymore, sadly.

One point was this: If you call yourself a "Democrat" and a leader in that party does something stupid (say, sleeps with a secretary; that seems popular) then you are more likely to think that they had a reason, and that they are still a good person. If they vote against you, you will probably forgive them. When the enemy, a Republican, does the same thing, you will believe they are evil, vile, stupid, et cetera.

Stick with your team.

Another interesting point is that sarcasm goes both ways. Most of the time. Those who are being made fun of often don't see it; they just think that people are agreeing with them. Those on their other side see it as a joke. Many republicans think Colbert sympathizes with them, or is a republican; democrats tend to think he has such a bottomless disrespect for the conservative platform that he can do nothing but laugh at it.

I have been labeled Democrat. And I vote that way most of the time, but I am the most conservative person that I know.


  1. About half of the time, I believe we should "preserve existing conditions", but more often I would "restore traditional ones". I think most of our problems are caused by technology, they aren't going to be solved by it. The world would be in better shape if we still lived in caves and our "technology" was limited to how we cracked stones.
  2. I am always a cautious estimator. I work slowly to make sure I don't miss many details (and I try to stay as open minded as possible)
The rest of the definitions I don't fit so well. I am not part of a conservative party, they aren't very often actually conservative. Instead, I vote liberally.

I just find that ironic. It shows some of the change that has happened within the parties. The labels, the words, have changed less.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Good Chapters: