Friday, December 28, 2012

"It is what it is"

When I started my last job, my boss would say this all of the time.

"It is what it is."

Perhaps I don't need to spell out her loss of hope and virility. Her dismal outlook on life. Her downfall. Her apparent desire to squelch optimism and independence out of other people because she lost her spunk a long time ago.

I think the quote does it pretty good justice.

The real sad thing is that it works. I started saying this too. At first I cringed at hearing anyone say it; then I got used to it. Then I would cringe when I said it; and then I got used to that too. I examined my own broken psychology a lot at this job. I am no more amazing than anyone else, really, even if it pains me to admit it sometimes. This phrase, and the attitudes that accompanied it, started to become mine as well.

Dun dun dun.

It really is an awful little slogan. And so patently untrue. Nothing must remain as it is, especially if it is bad or wrong. We all have a duty to resist it and to change it to something right and good.

Eventually it will. It can and it will.

Or we'll all go extinct. Which ever is first.

Which would you like?

1 comment:

Good Chapters: