Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Bing vs Google

I took Bing's little challenge: Bing It On. Where they attack Google, assuming that they have a better set up.

I did like Bing more when I searched for "Terantula", but the challenge didn't really answer the question I had. I use search engines as a spell check, for it is the best spell check I have ever seen. The challenge doesn't show that part: that would give it all away.

I appreciate the way the study was set up, attempting as well as it could to be non-biased. But I repeated the test afterward, searching for all the same things through each search engine and I discovered something:

It is impossible to be non-biased. An important detail is aesthetics and setup. Bing's results are fine. There are little differences, but for the most part the big searches give pretty comparable results. Trying each search on Bing proper and Google proper I much prefer the latter. Perhaps because it is what I am used to, but I didn't like the floating Facebook thing.

Biggest constructive criticism I have: image search. Bing's image search bothers the hell out of me. It's a general Microsoft like thing. Hover and some helpful thing pops up under your mouse. Spiffy idea, I suppose, but it is obnoxious. I am sure opinions differ, as this is a true opinion. But I do not like hovering little boxes showing a bigger version of the same picture. It's annoying and in the way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Good Chapters: