Friday, August 16, 2013

The Descent of Google

I pay more attention to technology then I should. It sits in front of me most all the day and I look at the edges of my screen. I notice and "huh" about various things that I see.

When I was in Middle School, I was one of the first kids to start using Google. Because on old computers, around the time of the 56k modem, Google loaded fast. There was no crap all over their home screen, so it was a lot easier to use.

Now, most search engines do this. Google has since moved on to web services. They provide an impressive array of completely free features. Making all their money by selling ads. Well, now they make their money selling phones and operating systems too, but they are still known for ads.

About four years ago, I made the switch to Gmail from Yahoo. Because Yahoo was glitchy and Google could do anything. Yahoo wouldn't let me export my mail. Google had no problem going in and copying it all over for me anyway. I switched to Chrome because I liked how simple it was set up. I like the "omnibox".

But now, Google is getting cumbersome. They can't make mail filters for contact groups, but they do make useless extra groups no one wants to use. You can't make calls with your Google phone number (...except inside Gmail... and only if you don't upgrade; or with someone else's software). Blogger sucks compared to Tumbler, unless you like writing for an audience of none. And Chrome, their favourite little project is slipping compared to Firefox.

At least on my computer.

There's just so many glitches in Google. They have two redundant header-bars. Chrome is slower and slower, especially with Google services like Plus and Blogger. In the 'new compose' in Gmail, I cannot add hyperlinks. Well, I can in Firefox. Firefox rarely fails me. There are a lot of pages that finish loading completely blank in Chrome. Firefox has no trouble. And Firefox is faster, too. Is is possible that my Flash Block and Ad Block are slowing it down that much?

All my bookmarks and crap are over there, though... I might be switching back to what's been the stand-by for over ten years. Good Ol' Reliable Firefox.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Good Chapters: