Thursday, March 25, 2010

Grandma's Boy (2006 movie)

Grandma's Boy was a pretty damn weird movie. Mainly because of the character J.P. played by Joel Moore. It was my favorite part because because I know a lot of people who are being lampooned by that character. Video game lovin', arrogant, japanophile geeks.

They can be pretty cool people. Sometimes.

But not usually in the way that Alex, played by Allen Covert. Now there may be a lot of people who think I'm woefully stupid, but I kept thinking this guy looked a little like a young (and fun) Mel Gibson. He just didn't act like him. I thought, if this is Mel, I've really underestimated him as an actor. This is the best part he's ever played. Not that the part was brilliant, but it would have been a departure for Gibson in such a way that it would be breath taking.

Since it's not, I still don't care about Gibson. And I don't know Covert enough to really judge his acting from this one part. It worked, but he wasn't my favorite character to watch. That distinction belongs to Grandma Lilly played by Doris Roberts.

This movie is a "Bit Bizarre". But it's funny, so if that's what you're lookin' for, this is a good one to see. Don't expect a lot from the ending. It doesn't end really abruptly, but it doesn't really tie up well, it just progresses down a blazé ending.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Good Chapters: