Saturday, April 24, 2010

Dirt! The Movie (2009)

I found Dirt! to be a great work. But I find that I am in the minority, unfortunately. Dirt! is a movie that everyone should watch and think about very, very carefully.It has a lot of pretty important and very pertinent information and perspectives. Which, I admit, are against the general consensus which seems to be of the opinion that the earth is just here for our wanton extraction and harvesation of its resources.

But we aren't. We are just here. And we should respect that. This is the central message I got out of the movie.

Dirt! is actually an enjoyable movie, which is what should be stated first, I suppose. It has cartoons. Cartoon are always fun. I enjoyed the style of the cartooning as well, it was very expressive.   It is not as depressing as many environmental movies can get, though, of course, it has its moments.

Dirt! is not a political movie, it is not religious, but it is about some strong opinions and some stark facts and predictions which I think are entirely reasonable if not a little optimistic. (I like to think of myself as a realist: I don't think the glass is half empty, or half full, I think "that glass is twice as big as it needs to be") But even if the movie is, itself, not political or religious or (outrightly) ethical, it will spark some heated debates along all those lines.

All I ask is that when discussing the ramifications expressed in this "Wonderful" (yeah, I'll call it wonderful) movie, you do not regurgitate comebacks that you haven't thought about. Instead, please consider the point of view of the people in this movie. Realize that these are opinions held be intelligent people who have thought long and hard about this stuff and therefore have some very valid things to say. Just as valid as yourself. Discuss it. It's important.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Good Chapters: