Saturday, May 1, 2010

How To Train Your Dragon (2010 movie)

How to Train Your Dragon was "Delightfully Funny". It's a cute little kids movie with cute little kid characters and a cute style of animation and 3D-glasses effects, and a brilliant sense of humor. It may not be for everyone, maybe, but it was just my kind of humor; I loved the delivery style. I see movies more than once, but usually because someone else chose the film. This movie would make the very short list of movies I would ask to see again.

It establishes mood pretty well, and has a lot of interesting ideas to keep the viewer interested. The overall plot is pretty unrealistic, if that is what your are looking for, but it is mythological instead. My only major criticism is with the ending which comes on a bit quick and doesn't quite fit with the flavor of the rest of the movie. It also gets a bit mushy, but that's good for it, too. I am really interested in reading the children's books that this movie was based off of.

I haven't seen Lilo and Stitch, but the visual style reminded me of that film. It turns out that both of the writer/directors of How to Train Your Dragon, Dean DeBlois and Chris Sanders worked on that project and the latter worked in the animation department.

The 3D experience was... alright. I still stand by the conclusion I arrived at after having watched Avatar in 3D that it is it should be used sparingly. How to Train Your Dragon had better 3D, overall, than Avatar, mostly because the animation style worked so well with it but also because there were less clear things. Quick movement and clear objects look blurry and off in 3D. However, after watching this movie in 3D, my eyes hurt a little bit (just a little bit) and they did not after Avatar. And there was nothing quite as awesome looking as the Pandorian forests (though the ocean water came closest - not because of 3D)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Good Chapters: