Monday, May 10, 2010

Barking Water (2009 movie)

Barking Water is a very cryptic movie. That's the first think I thought. There are a lot of scenes in the beginning that are not fully explained. Mostly it is on purpose, the first scenes are very well done, but there were times I thought it would have been useful to know a little more; that it was annoying to see only four to five seconds of a scene before it was left. Supposedly I'm ADD, but that was too short for me to get into.

The second think I thought about Barking Water was that it reminded me of Walk Two Moons (by Sharon Creech) but without a little girl. It still reminds me of Walk Two Moons without a little girl which is a very good thing. That is a bloody brilliant book and I highly recommend it.

This movie is not so bloody brilliant; but no movie could be, really. Barking Water remains a very honest and very real movie. Which, according to it's author, Sterlin Harjo, is the goal. I enjoyed the acting (Casey Camp-Horinek slipped a little) because it wasn't the standard Hollywood fare. It has less ego. It's less arrogant and loud. Barking Water is more "Intimate". It is funny and compassionate and made at least one member of the audience cry.

The most disappointing part of the movie was the talk back with Harjo because he couldn't explain why he did what he did in his movie.


Analysis (spoilers to follow):

Barking Water is a "Last Journey" movie. In the first arc, Irine and Franky are escaping from the hospital so that he can see friends and family before he dies; and so he doesn't die in a hospital bed. I appreciated the escape scene because it wasn't so forced on the viewer as to be patently obvious they were breaking the rules. Unless you pay attention to the music.

Look forward to the restaurant scene: it's really funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Good Chapters: