Friday, April 27, 2007

Compatibility

I recently noted that I seem to like everything that I'm not. I like qualities in people that are really the opposite of what I am. And I don't mean the things I can help, to a certain point. I mean the things that I don't know how to change; are inate in what type of personality I am. I think that a great ability the human psyche can have is to devote itself in love and caring for others. To truly empathize and be able to feel others. I have talked to many with this ability and think it is one of the greatest shortcomings of my mind. I am also shy and quiet, I like people who can talk and are more aggressive. Though, I suppose, I don't necessairly like people who are too aggressive and rely on their ability to feel too much... Balance is still important. (there are more I can't think of now, but may add some day. )

But I do like the things that have been a choice, for the most part. My political and moral ideals, for example. The type of things that if I didn't like, I wouldn't be.

These ideas lend credance to the idea that "opposites attract" and "birds of a feather flock togeather". I think for a lot of people, it may be benificial to associate with people who act a little differently that you do because they will handel certain situations better than you. But because you are different from them, you will handel others better. You will be able to get more sight on an issue, a position, what have you... but you will still be able to get along well.

This does not mean that it is impossible to have a friend with diffent moral ideals, political views, religion, et cetera. But if everything about their opinions is differnt, it probably won't be the longest lasting or deepest friendship. How could it be? If you can't see eye to eye on anything, what keeps you hanging out? You like the same activities? You are phisically attracted (romantically, whatever)? I don't think that's enough to make a real good friendship. Just a good spotter or belayer.

But balance is important. I suppose a lot of this makes it easier to achieve a balance. Which is always nice and good even if it is difficult. With two or more people it is easier to achieve a good, healthy balance because it doesn't demand that one person has perfect balance. Which is, of course, impossible. Again, this could be difficult. such perfect relationships may, ironically, be difficult to maintain. Especially if you aren't open minded to the fact that your friend acts a little different from you, if this embarrasses you, if you don't actually like it if people are at all different from you. I wonder how many people there are who don't like it if people differ from them? ... I would guess not many.

Anyway, just an interesting note.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Good Chapters: