Sunday, November 29, 2009

Thank You for Smoking (movie)

I enjoyed this film far more than I expected to. I thought it'd be depressing. "Good", yes: I would begrudgingly have to admit that it was good. But I did not think I would enjoy the hour someodd I spent watching it. But I find that I did. I'm not sure how, but it was an entertaining film.

This movie is not an anti-smoking film, as one who is against smoking may think given the ironic title. Nor is this movie pro-smoking. Nor is this movie really pro or anti anything besides possibly lobbyists (bloody lobbyists!). Knowing that, I would have thought I'd like the movie even less. But the plot was engaging enough, and the dastardly characters charming enough, that I didn't get too mad. Maybe a little, but who wouldn't? It's written to excite you a little bit. Unless you really were part of the "Death Squad", you would find Nick Naylor (the main character) contemptible. But then you would just get mad at other parts of the movie.

Perhaps that is what "Thank You for Smoking" does. It manages to be balanced enough that the parts that depress me and make me angry are off-set by the funny and intelligent parts (read: parts I agree with). It stays true to its characters and its plot in such a way that it has sincerity. And though the lobbyist is a little... aggravating... he at least admits that he is aggravating; even downright evil.

All the while, the movie has expert humor. The best comedies are not written as comedies, I find, and though this doesn't actually fit that mould exactly, it's humor is reminiscent of it. A fine film for anyone to watch. Not preachy or overly-moralistic but still showing everyone just how awful lobbyists are.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Good Chapters: