Tuesday, November 24, 2009

The Goonies (1985 movie)

Despite the horror this may induce in many people, I have never seen the Goonies before now. This review is on my first viewing, despite the fact that I was born in the 80's. I've been told it was the quintessential 80's movie and that I had. to. see. it.

I did enjoy the movie, but I didn't find it any more 80's quintessential than "Honey I Shrunk the Kids", which I did grow up with. Not to say that means it isn't classic 80's movie-making. It is. It did have another weight-lifting, unpopular, guy who gets a girl in it (just like "The Lost Boys"!), it had the adventure and the fun, without realistic complications or Post Traumatic Stress. Simple, bumbling bad-guys (like Home Alone, although technically early 90's). Kinda like "National Treasure", which is about as close to "The Goonies" as a movie from the millennium gets.

So "The Goonies" is an "enjoyable", funny, classic movie. One of the reasons Steven Spielberg is so lauded, I suppose. I recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Good Chapters: