Monday, November 9, 2009

The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas (musical movie)

"The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas" was better than I thought it would be. I was fearing that it would be one of those movies where I always want to look off or beyond what the camera is showing. "Look over there! Gaa!" But It wasn't.

The movie advertises itself as funny, but I didn't find such, per se.... I didn't laugh too often. Once in a while, but not often. However, it wasn't highly dramatic, either. Most of the time... I did choke up at the end a bit. Good music helps that.

The music was really enjoyable. Better than the music in most musicals, I feel. It didn't always have that "This is the song that goes like this!" (-Spamalot) feel to it which many musicals follow. The infusion of some of Dolly Parton's own songs was fairly seemless and added some depth to the soundtrack.

The movie is "Entertaining", foremost, but also has some depth to it as well. There's a lot of opinion and philosophy which the film discusses such as honesty, television, morality... that last one is the biggest. Is it good or bad to have a whorehouse in your town? It's really a cultural judgment. However, I never felt like the characters in the movie behaved like people who made regular use of a whorehouse. They had sexual values which I would believe are more consistent with our culture's, which villainizes them. If partial nudity throws you into a tizzy, then be warned that there is some, along with some drug usage, but no real violence besides a punch to the face.

Which is worst?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Good Chapters: