Friday, August 13, 2010

Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory (1971 movie, rewatched)

I do rather like Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, but I think it is primarily for the music. It is "Fun", but it is little else and I think I can see why Roald Dahl, the writer of the book (and some of the screenplay, apparently) didn't like this rendition.

It is actually relatively devoid of substance and the morals, which Dahl usually has a few of. What is there is a little watered down. Willie Wonka is sorta a prick (really arrogant) and he doesn't learn that ever. You don't think of it, really, unless you are looking for it and watching critically, which I was. The movie is a dentist's worst nightmare, which the newer one does say something about.

Still, the movie is fun and humorous. Gene Wilder is always entertaining and doesn't disappoint. I will say that this is my preferred version, though I may be biased from childhood.

PS: I have always thought it ironic that this movie, which has more to do with Charlie was called "Willie Wonka" while the newer one, which shows the growth of Willie Wonka is called "Charlie". I suppose it has something to do with marketing tie-ins with the original movie which the newer one didn't indulge in. The book's title is Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

No comments:

Post a Comment

Good Chapters: