Tuesday, November 16, 2010

At Work

Today at work, we had a problem.

I work at a nursing home serving people food. We try to keep track of how much everyone eats ('try' being used about as loosely as possible. We actually just inconvenience ourselves with utterly useless data collection. The only thing it really tells us is if someone was in the dining room that day.) using a little hand-held touch screen device.

That runs Windows.

Consequently, it doesn't hardly work most of the time. While all you put in is: 'they ate 100% of their meal',  one choice out of about ten, it takes a surprisingly long time from pushing a virtual button on the screen and any effect taking place. Anywhere from 2 to 10 seconds. Which may not seem like much, but imagine if it took ten seconds from when you struck the "q" key and a q actually appearing on the screen. The amount of data is incredibly small, but for some reason, this little "shit pad" (as it is affectionately known among the staff) can't quite handle it. It takes several minutes for this tiny file of around 40 residents to actually transfer to the computer. Sometimes, it doesn't.

I would wonder why it has so much trouble if it weren't for that multi-colored window logo. But as that graces the front of the device, that question is answered. A question that has not be sufficiently answered is why Windows hasn't been fired. If my performance were so dismal, they wouldn't keep me on, I am sure of it. You can only show up to work late so often, especially if you live there.

Another topic with computers:

I attend Western State College of Colorado. But I need a new computer password.

I looked, but I couldn't find the page that allows one to change this basic thing. Most commercial web-sites have it fairly close to the front where it is easy to find.

But I couldn't find it. I decided to try the web-sites search feature, even though those rarely work.

This is what I was given:


How do I change my Banner password?

You can change your BANNER password from the My Links section of General Menu. You can also change it by using the BANNER form GUAPSWD. Type your current BANNER password (leave the database box blank), then type a new password, and verify your new password.


I have to ask myself, since there isn't anyone else near, what the hell is GUAPSWDLKLEK? Looks like a bunch of pointless letters to me. It doesn't mean anything. At all.

Why oh why are so many people obsessed with acronyms! They only de-stable communication! WTF!

I still cannot find where to change my bloody password.... I see nothing labled as a "General Menu". "General Financial Aid", but not "General Menu" and I doubt it is under the "Financial Aid" tab.

...Unless they're a little more crazy than I thought...

Nor do I see "My Links". Anywhere. If you search for that phrase, the only thing that comes up that has to do with the web-site is a page called: "How do I change my Banner password?"

But we've already seen how useless that page is. These pages apparently don't exist.

Perhaps I can't change my password. It will forever be something like: Lkailn(0879eokNOJ,ljd092wnjolkdn. Which I can't remember.

Oh well. I guess I'll just cary a piece of paper around with me. Because that's really secure.

2 comments:

  1. You can change your WSC password here: http://www.western.edu/password

    Also, there is a web page specifically for students at http://www.western.edu/inside/students

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once I chaned the password to my mail in Google's infinately more navigatible site, then it changed the password everywhere.

    Yay work-arounds. Perhaps theinternet instructions should be changed because there is no clear way of pursuing a password change and no instructions I could find that actually worked.

    I think it was because of changes to the system and the help pages hadn't been updated yet. That's what it seemed like at the time.

    ReplyDelete

Good Chapters: