Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Bug (2006 movie)

As the director points out, one doesn't really know where the plot of Bug is going if they haven't seen it before. It is creepy, dark, twisted, sometimes humorous, sick, demented, erotic, paranoid, and schizophrenic film. And it raises more questions than it ever answers. Stuff happens, and you never can quite tell why or exactly what it was, even by the end.

As impressive as that is, I didn't enjoy my time with it, per se; but I sorta almost like it. It is a good movie, I suppose it would be hard to dispute that. Despite the fact that I thought I was watching some amateur, low-brow horror in the beginning. That sense gradually disappears into something else. Very else.

To give you a sense of what you are getting into if you decide to try out the trip that is Bug, this is the same well-respected Hollywood director who created The Exorcist and The French Connection. I haven't seen the latter, but there are some similarities to the former that I can see now that I know. He is an older director and this movie doesn't really fit it with the current film-making style in Hollywood; especially featuring big name actors like Ashley Judd and Harry Connick Jr.. It has more similarities with contemporary plays or '70s film making.

The acting in the film is very good. I can appreciate that now. In the beginning, I thought it was some cheese-ball movie, as I said, but the characters flesh out into something quite dynamic. Almost too dynamic. But as everyone is bleeding crazy, it all still makes sense. This could be seen as a cop-out, crazy people are easy. Generally. In drama, it is probably a little more difficult. There is still a thin line to straddle, the character shouldn't be so extreme they turn the audience away, but still be unique. Considering Bug's usual review, they seem to have done that, however.

The sound in the movie is requisitely creepy to keep a very paranoid movie "Paranoid". If you like a good psycological thriller, Bug may be your bag.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Good Chapters: