Thursday, November 4, 2010

Silent Hill (2006 movie, never played the game)

Out of the three horror movies I watched around Halloween, The Exorcist, Frankenstein, and Silent Hill, the last was, by far, the most scary.

I didn't go into it expecting much from the movie. It was adapted off of a video game, after all, and those rarely go very well (I would mention Alone in the Dark, but I haven't actually seen it). But I was surprised. Not only is Silent Hill a scary movie, but it is fairly thought provoking, has some philosophical elements, and succeeds in being entertaining.

Silent Hill is almost entirely populated by women. If anyone has any feminist ideals, you could take this good or ill: on the one hand, it's a horror movie with a bunch of helpless women, no wonder everything's going wrong; on the other, these aren't weak women. Half of them are the evil powers, one or another, and the other half are the rescuing powers.

I hope that doesn't spoil anything. The eventual cruxes of the plot are reveled in a little spot of narration, which is really the biggest problem with this film. They couldn't figure out how to reveal everything without just sidetracking and telling you what happened. It's also a little weird when they use some computer-animated footage from the game. Sometimes, this is unnoticeable, but often it is a little distracting.

Silent Hill is a "Damn Creepy" movie and I found it to be really rather good. However, there don't seem to be a lot of people who share my view, so perhaps proceed with caution.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Good Chapters: