Monday, November 8, 2010

Where the Wild Things Are (2009 movie)

I really expected something else from this movie. Perhaps that's the reason I didn't like it, or at least part of the reason, but Where the Wild Things Are is a bit too much of a roller-coaster for me. It reminded me (just a little, mind) of Wild Animus which annoyed me so much I didn't finish it. I try not to be judgmental, but that book isn't worth the paper it's printed on. A good summary of what I read: Oh, life sucks... Im gonna go walk in the snow; oh! life is grand! Oh, we love each other more than anyone could ever love anyone else-- Oh.. it probably wont work... But Oh! We love each other so much... Let's break up. Oh life sucks but is so awesome!

Where the Wild Things Are isn't half so annoying, but it does boil down to being dramatic for drama's sake. I like comedy for the sake of comedy, but drama is a little different. Drama isn't enjoyable without due cause and while there is some point in this film, it isn't accessible enough for my taste. This movie feels a little hashed together. A little looser than it could have been. A little more tiresome than I'd like. All of the characters are like 7 year olds having tantrums. While all the characters look cool, and are reminiscent of Maurice Sendak's drawings, they don't actually have enough character of their own. They are all just sides of the main character, Max.

The movie is too long for telling too short of an actual story. I think the best rating for it is to say that it "Doesn't Have Enough Character". Surficially, there is a lot of character, but deeper, its vapid and obnoxious.

I was disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Good Chapters: