Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Inception (2010 movie)

Inception is the second movie starring Leonardo DiCaprio that I have been pretty impressed with. The first (which I didn't see all of, hence there is no review) was Shutter Island.

The similarities of these movies are substantial. There's even a common being-washed-up-prone-on-a-beach scene. The central character played by Leo DiCaprio is very similar as well, "conflicted, tortured by their own demons, needs to deal with their past" et cetera. I almost wonder if there is some event in Leo's history, like he killed his wife or something which leads him to play in these movies.

But the choices are good. Inception is one of the better movies I have seen recently and I feel like I've been fortunate enough to have seen some good ones recently. Mostly because there is a good ending, which is so important to me. It is hilarious, those last few seconds, and make this rather long movie as brilliant as it is. Without such a quietly genius scene, the movie suffers a little too much from what I'll call "Star Trek Syndrome"

In Star Trek, there was often a great idea that was explored for a little while. It was intriguing, an idea that really made a person say, "wow! What if! Hmm!" and then, after the conflict was established, the only solution offered was Captain Kirk punching an alien in the face. Curtain.

Inception is the same way. A wonderful idea, but none of the characters can think of a wiser way to deal with anything in a whole fictional dream world than shooting it. Woo. Lack of imagination in a world of imagination. I don't know why they needed to use certain devices so much when nothing was real; they really could have used Neo.

It is still a "Good Movie". I liked it, at least.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Good Chapters: