Monday, February 21, 2011

Prince of Persia (2010 movie)

A lot of people will complain about Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time, but I wont (too much); I actually sorta liked the film.

However, keep in mind: this is not a brilliantly intelligent film, this film isn't really philosophical, nor is it expertly composed and choreographed or even highly funny. It is "Simply Fun". If you are looking for more in your movies, don't look here; if you don't like action movies and hero movies, don't look here. This is a genre film: it fills its roll it it's genre. It gives english accents to persians because they aren't americans (and they are from europe, what other accent ya gonna use?), nobody really looks like a Persian, it has a lot of sword fight scenes, it has a lot of acrobatics. In its genre, though, it stands apart as pretty good. Its fight scenes are almost mediocre; there's a lot less attention given to them than to the arial acrobatics, which suits me fine. I am getting a little tired of fight scenes. They are there, too be sure, and they aren't horrible, and they aren't so long as to get too stale.

There are those who would disagree with me on both ends, I am sure. People who are annoyed they are there at all and those who lament that they are too short. For me, they are easy to pass by and get to what the film does well. The plot is pretty good. The ending might be obnoxious for many, it certainly wasn't my favorite part, but I had predicted it by the time the movie was a quarter though. It was cemented in my mind by three-quarters.

There really isn't much of a reason to like this movie, but I still do. Perhaps I am biased because it casted my ol' creepy roommate "David the Vampire" as a creepy snake-wielding Voldemort like character. Other characters are fun as well (especially the entrepreneur - he is as close as this movie gets to political). See if if you liked the Zorro movies.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Good Chapters: