Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Starship Troopers (1997 movie)

I am "Undecided" on how I feel about Starship Troopers. That may seem like a shitty cop-out of a rating, but I'm stickin' to it. I think it'll end up encapsulating my decision once it is made. I like most of what I have read of Heinlein's: Job, Stranger in a Strange Land. But this movie is not very similar. It is campy, that is where the humor lies, but it supports military aggrandizement a little more than I think is healthy. It seems to make the metaphor that war is sometimes necessary if we are fighting an alien without a sense of empathy. But since that will never happen (I seriously doubt that if we meet with bug aliens they will actually lack empathy), the point is moot.

But that might not really be the point. That is just the surface, that is just the opinion of the characters. In reality, the film seems to be almost entirely satirical. And like any satire,

At least, that is the controversy about Heinlein's opinion. But in this movie, that seems to only be the opinion of the characters. The situation and the attitudes are almost entirely satirical. And like any satire, the point where satire ends is rather hard to distinguish.

This film is violent and acted with not the greatest degree of skill. If you are in the mood for a simple movie   and in the mood for satire, this is a good one to pick up.

I feel the need to eventually read the book. There is some controversy on Heinlein's own opinion. It seems that he hates communism (no surprise, I suppose, considering Stranger in a Strange Land) and believes that only those who earn suffrage should be citizens, an idea I could probably get behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Good Chapters: