Monday, October 19, 2009

Ghosts of Girlfriends Past (movie)

I went into this movie knowing nothing about it besides that it had a kinda strange title written in a kinda strange way with some kinda strange looking people standing next to it.

Altogether, the 'look' was "kinda strange" and the plot kinda went along with it.

I did not expect the movie that I actually saw when I first started watching it. I mean, I did expect a basic chick-flick, but it actually has a fair amount of deviation from the standard formula. This is really because it follows another formula at the same time: Charles Dickens. When I first realized this, I thought, "Well, at least this is a little different." Then I remembered that using this story outline, on of the most copied outlines ever, is basically the definition of cliche.

If we are comparing "A-Christmas-Carol-Stories" (as a genre), then this is one of the better Christmas-Carol-Stories I've seen. This time, it wasn't about Christmas. The transition from realistic to fantasy ghost realm is really, really subtle, and surprised me at first, I admit.

The movie is OK, but didn't really impress me in any direction overly much.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Good Chapters: