Friday, October 16, 2009

The Neverending Story (rewatched, post-read)

This movie used to be my favorite movie. And when I got to a point where I couldn't, really, honestly, say it was, I still put it down when people asked that question because I hadn't actually replaced it with anything.

I still haven't. I don't have a favorite movie. So this movie still stands as the only movie ever to have the privilege of being my Favourite.

But I can't sit here and tell you it is a spectacular movie. It's "Fanstastical": The acting is pretty B, sometimes in the low Cs; the cinematography is less than artistic; the directing, at least, is strange (why is "The Nothing!" something?); the characters are cool; the plot is still awesome to me in my elder years.

But I would love to re-make this movie along the lines of the book. Still using puppets because I like that. Old Yoda kicks New Yoda's ass and those things in Corpse Bride and Nightmare before Christmas also kick New Yoda's flying trapesius ass!

I just like the grit that comes with the puppet-level things. There's more attention and time spent polishing everything that wasn't spent in front of a soul-sucking monitor and it truly shows.

Even in The Neverending Story, though it's many years old now. The Rock Giant may not be real looking, but he looks the better for it. It's fantasy for Christ sake.

The Neverending Story is quintessential fantasy. Like Tolkien, it will always have a good place in my mind. If you haven't watched this movie, or read the book by Michael Ende, just do so. Make fun of it as you go if you please. Especially in the case of this movie, it's utterly understandable.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Good Chapters: