Saturday, October 31, 2009

The Lost Boys (movie)

"The Lost Boys" is a pretty intriguing movie. The main family is interesting, at least, in their particular brand of dysfunction. Yet despite how strange they all are, they kinda stick together as they are pushed through this 80's movie plot. This movie positively bleeds 80's. In a way that few movies can. You can see it in the cinematography, the way everyone dresses, and the progression of the obligatory romance (it is a vampire movie, after all...)

It's all relatively predictable. I guessed who the true "antagonist" was fairly early.

That's not to say the movie is bad. I'd say it's "Okay". It's a 'horror film', but with humorous moments; which is a fairly nice format. There are not many movies that I can place into this 'genre'. "Scary Movie" doesn't fit at all, neither does "Evil Dead", really. The only other film that I can think of which could fit is "Sean of the Dead". I liked "Sean of the Dead". Best bloody zombie movie ever. Likewise, "The Lost Boys" is probably the best vampire movie I've ever seen. Unfortunately (for both of them), this isn't actually saying a whole lot.

I do kinda like this 'genre'; 'format' may be a better word. It's far less hackish than a straight 'horror film'. Humor adds spice to everything. It gives me a reason to watch it. Without humor, this movie wouldn't have been good at all. At all. But since it was comedic, it was pretty entertaining. Far more so than "UltraViolet" which we watched later (I didn't even finish that movie, so it get's no review. But here's a mini-one: I got so disinterested in it's pitiful lack of plot and awful characters and pissish morals and crappy action scenes which made no sense at all ("We're not superhuman" my ass) That I went to sleep. Now, movies keep me up, for whatever reason. Even if I'm tired. But I decided to take my glasses off and ignore it because it's Bloody Awful! Not "District 9" awful, or anything. But "Worthless" none the less.) The movie is a little like "Sean of the Dead", but from the 80's.

The characters were the best part of the movie. They are all so weird. Especially "Grandpa". He's a hoot.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Good Chapters: