Wednesday, January 6, 2010

A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini

A Thousand Splendid Suns is, um, unique. I haven't read The Kite Runner, his debut book, and don't intend to for a little while (I'd like a rest from the depressing subject; I know about it, I don't need to lose hope, ya know...) It's design is quite effective, but there are times when it almost seems as though Khaled Hosseini is just trying to describe the most horrible things you could possibly imagine.

But I guess that's the way it is.

Though the book is fiction, it is intended to give us in the United States an idea of what it is like in Afghanistan. The author can establish his credibility because he has worked with for UN in Refugee camps around the world. So I believe it. It feels realistic, though I have never experienced life in that part of the world myself.

However, I am skeptical about how distraught so many characters would get after one death. Maybe I'm wrong to be so callous about human emotions, but when the death rate is as high as it is in Afghanistan, I wouldn't think it would quite derail your own life. You have to keep living, and helping the other survivors continue. Not dwell on deaths in the past. I would think it necessarily. But I sure hope I never have to find out. I'd much rather read this emotional train-wreck of a book.

But, before I mislead: the book is very good. "Somber and Mournful", but good. There are times when the book kept me up at night; times I put it down not because I was falling asleep, but because I didn't want it to be the last thing in my mind before slumber. I recommended it, actually urge people to read it, but I don't like it. I find it a bit weird that there is anyone who says they "like" the book. That's a little sadistic.

The book does not set out to offend, nor to depress, nor to coddle. It very patiently, dryly, very straight-forwardly describes the world, the characters, and the plot. It is forgiving writing of an unforgiving world; not embellishing atrocities for dramatic purposes, but rather softening the gaze so the reader doesn't have to see it quite so harshly as they know it is. But the writing style is a little off for me. If I read it out loud, I would not end up saying, verbatim, what is written but would, instead, move periods around and add connecting words. Also, there are changes in character that I didn't expect; especially with Mariam in the beginning.

Read the book. You might regret it, but you will be glad you did.

2 comments:

  1. It was one of the few books that I was unwilling to put down. The style of writing is great, and the chapters are short which is something I like. It isn't too prosey, but it does not lack details. The relationship between Miriam and Laila is that of best friends, a mother and daughter, and sister. Although I do agree with the critics that some of the 'fairytale' is unrealistic, the women go through enough heartache that I want the happiness for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've talked to some people who can't abide by fiction being written like this, which is a kind of interesting argument. Basically, they find it disrespectful to people who really endure such torments.

      I have not read Khaled's first book, The Kite Runner. Still.

      Thanks for reading my review, by the way!

      Delete

Good Chapters: