Monday, January 18, 2010

Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett

The one thing you really can't deny about "Good Omens" is that it is really, really "Funny". Unless, of course, you are a very devout fundamentalist Christian. Then you could, possibly, get offended. It does make light of the religion, after all, and makes fun of it. Really great fun, but fun nonetheless. I will still recommend the story... unless you are looking for a Christianity-basing extravaganza. Then you might want to look for something else, because that is not what this book is. I, not being christian, found it to actually lend legitimate interpretations to the faith and don't feel that it is very offensive, if at all.

I do find it to be interesting, entertaining, and wise. And bloody funny. I read the first section to just about everyone I know. One can really tell that the writers loved the writing of the book, which makes it a joy to read. It could be that I overestimate their wisdom just because they make me laugh and I, apparently, find laughter logical. Now I haven't read more than one of Gaiman's books (though I have seen some of his movies), but if you are a fan of Terry Pratchett, you'll probably like this book.

Similar to Gaiman's "American Gods", "Good Omens" seems to have a somewhat lengthy ending. It wasn't so long that I was too tired of this book, however, and I miss the story and would like more. Alas, no more is forthcoming as Pratchett is starting to suffer from the awful Alzheimer's (NOOO!). I suppose I'll have to pick up another Discworld book, eventually.

The plot is very well tied up. There aren't any real loose threads to speak of. But it bounces around a lot and can be pretty hard to follow by the end. It's complicated and there's a massive collection of characters, none of which you could really call "The Main Character". So I was thankful for the character list (actually, I didn't read it until I had finished because I didn't want it to spoil anything! But it was a thoughtful inclusion).

I don' know. Can't complain, can praise. Read it if you want something enjoyable.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Good Chapters: