Tuesday, January 19, 2010

The Pebble and the Penguin (movie)

"The Pebble and the Penguin" is... um, about what I expected, looking at the picture for it--which is to say I didn't like it. It is not what I expected going into a Don Bluth film. It doesn't look like it (quite), it's not so dark, and Dom DeLuise isn't in it. Which is a pity for ol' Dom because the character he plays in most of Bluth's films was finally the main show, not a supporting role. It makes "The Secret of NIMH" look like an extravagant and flawless production. I was disappointed. The Odyssian plot is less back-and-forth with pointless quests, but I wouldn't actually say that it is better.

This movie reminded me of what little I saw of "Happy Feet". Not only are there penguins, but it's a 'Beauty-and-the-Beast story' with penguins. In both cases, the protagonist is some sort of doofus who doesn't have what he needs to go courting, and then gets knocked adrift in the antarctic.

I don't really know much more about "Happy Feet".

I suppose I shouldn't be so shallow as to say the character designs were laughable, but that is the first thing about this movie which turned me off. I was excited by how much the makers liked music, they opened with characters dancing on sheets of staff music!, but the actual songs were really rather bad. Only good when remembering that Tim Curry sang as the Transsexual Transvestite from Transylvania. It lends to his character, Drake, in this movie.

I'd found the movie to be "lackluster" and can't recommend anyone to see it. Try something else of Bluth's because he is usually far better than this.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Good Chapters: