Saturday, January 2, 2010

American Gods by Neil Gaiman

American Gods made me want to be able to read faster because I was impatient to find out what happens! I couldn't wait. I suppose that is a good sign that the book is pretty good. It's also a good sign if you anticipate the book to be one of those that you are really sorry to finish because you'll be sad to leave the characters and the world behind to start reading some inferior story.

Both these were true reading American Gods However, I anticipated incorrectly: American Gods ends a little like The Lord of the Rings about 15 times before there are no more words. Even though I didn't read the author's preferred text version (with 12000 more words) I was pretty ready for the end by the time it really came. Wither this was good or not, I can't decide: it was drawn out and annoying, but at least I was spared the separation anxiety from finishing a great book.

A brilliant book in so many ways. I haven't referenced a novel so much in conversation, or outright read quotes to people because it was applicable to the conversation, since I read Thomas Hardy's Jude the Obscure. The difference between this book and that 'classic' being I actually enjoyed reading Gaiman's work. Though philosophical in nature, I never found it preachy. It has an intricate and well-woven plot skillfully told and unafraid or anything it may encounter. But didn't seem to seek offense. It is a pretty long book, but doesn't take long to read.

It seems apparent that Gaiman knows a lot about gods from a lot of different pantheons, whether he actually does or not. There were a lot of them in this text. But it also appears that he has twisted who they were (are) a little to fit his story and to fit our land, rather than their world of origin. He also put in a lot of his own gods, which I find amusing.

The work is highly "Charismatic"; as much as Mr. Wednesday. For a more full knowledge of what I mean by that, look up the etymology (Hey, it's a little clever. Maybe...) Though it is not a 'character driven' book, I found the characters believable; they didn't change dramatically or unbelievably to fit the plot. I highly recommend it and will be reading more Gaiman in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Good Chapters: