Friday, January 27, 2012

The Fast Runner (2001)

I like movies that are not out of Hollywood. I think part of it is just unrecognizable actors who look a lot more real. The people in Atanarjuat look like Inuit, not like southern California models. Because they are. Atanarjuat is the first film from Canada written, directed, and acted by the Inuit people.

It is also pretty fascinating to watch movies that are outside of one's own culture. I learned a little about how igloos are made, and how the Inuit ate and dressed. I learned that their women had (perhaps they even still have) blue tattoo marks on their faces. And that they treat their dogs absolutely wretchedly.

That was the worst part of the movie. It is obvious that these dogs are not happy campers in real life and pretty much hate their handlers. Apparently no one ever told them about clicker training.

The movie is Anthropological in its cultural intensity, but has Cool (cold? ha ha. I'll stop) story telling. Some weird camera angle choices and some little 'continuity' errors (I think I saw a scene where someone was wearing modern boots), but if you can overlook the lack of special effects, it is a good movie. And if you can stand to see a little Inuit penis, because that's in there if that stuff gives you an aneurysms.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Good Chapters: