Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Why I am an Environmentalist.

My post yesterday was pretty fatalistic. It is something of the reason I am an "environmentalist", but not the real reason.

I keep hearing that there is no point. That, eventually, our moon will sling out of orbit and the earth will be pulled into the sun. That, eventually, the sun will supernova and the earth will disintegrate.

Well yes. How foresightful. Eventually the entire universe might collapse. Or entropy will pull every quark an infinite distance apart from every other quark. So what?

I guess it comes down to what you believe the purpose of life is? Do we have some grand Purpose of some unimaginable kind? If so, I cannot begin to understand what could be greater than... just living. Living and being happy and fulfilled.

I mean, what could be a greater purpose than to live? Right here and right now?

Life is not a destination. Our destinations are all the same. The universe will not last forever. All records will eventually cease to be. But right now, you are alive. And that is pretty miraculous.

So I am not an environmentalist to preserve the state of our planet forever.

I am an environmentalists to protect those homes, those lives, and that happiness that is happening right now. Those lives that deserve a chance to enjoy themselves because they are here. It matters not, really, if polar bears go extinct. It matters that they are starving right now and that bloody sucks!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Good Chapters: