Friday, January 20, 2012

Working Together

Listening is a very important skill and it goes rather undervalued in our world. I am not sure why; perhaps it is because the more forceful you are with your own opinion, the more chance you have of convincing someone that you are right. And being forceful is the opposite of listening.

I think there is a little ego that motivates it. I have been trying to find a way to get my ol' Alma Matter (Western State College) to improve the efficiency of their vehicle fleet. And though a million conversations, I have come to the conclusion that the best thing to do (so far) is to simply get departments to work together. If there are two departments that are going the same basic direction, perhaps they can plan and go together. If they share the trip, together they might cut down on a whole van. Maybe.

The fear that already exists (before we even begin) is that there will be resistance to the idea. Working together is hard and different departments don't want to work with the hassle. It will be harder, I see that. But there are many times when it might still be pretty easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Good Chapters: